Va. Prosecutor: Paul Cambria Should Be Disqualified

STAUNTON, Va. — Prosecutor Raymond C. Robertson has filed papers seeking to disqualify 1st Amendment attorney Paul J. Cambria Jr. and two of his associates as cocounsel to defend After Hours Video against obscenity charges that were filed Nov. 1.

After Hours Video owner Rick Krial's attorney Tate Love last week filed a motion with the Staunton Circuit Court to allow the addition of Buffalo, N.Y.-based Cambria to the defense team.

"The Commonwealth has reason to believe that the legal fee of the aforesaid Buffalo, N.Y., attorney is being paid by a third party and not by the defendant," Robertson wrote.

Robertson said that if Cambria and his associates are being supported by the adult industry, based on past case law, Krial will have an argument for appeal if convicted.

Robertson also claimed that any plea agreements favorable to Krial would conflict with the interests of a third party from the porn industry, and noted the presence of outside attorneys "allows them to exert strong pressures against the independent judgment of defense attorney Tate Love."

John Pauly, a spokesman for the Pennsylvania-based Adult Freedom Foundation, has disagreed with Robertson's contentions. "He's totally mistaken, because Cambria is 100 percent aboveboard."

Pauly described Cambria as a "bull" in the courtroom.

"He's a giant killer," Pauly said. "The city can expect the fight of their life."

Robertson, a longtime prosecutor in Staunton, has been an opponent of adult material dating back to the 1970s. He has said that he will not "allow dissemination of pornographic material in Staunton" and has threatened arrests, confiscation of inventory and prosecution for anyone selling obscene materials under a Virginia state obscenity statute.

A hearing to determine the question of conflict of interest is scheduled for Nov. 20.

Copyright © 2025 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Ofcom: Age Assurance Going Live Across 'Thousands' of Porn Sites

U.K. communications regulator Ofcom said in a statement Thursday that providers of online pornography are implementing age assurance across “thousands of sites” accessible in the U.K., in response to Ofcom’s Online Safety Act (OSA) enforcement program.

Honey Play Box Debuts 'Tressa' Vibrator

Honey Play Box introduced its new Tressa multi-stimulation, app-enabled vibrator.

Blush Debuts 2 New Glass Plugs From 'Oh My Gem' Collection

Blush has introduced two new glass plugs, Lustre and Prestige, from its Oh My Gem collection.

EP Products Founder Don Wilson Passes Away

Don Wilson, the founder of EP Products and a notable figure in Canada's adult retail community, has passed away.

Orion Debuts 'Your Strap-On' Collection From 'You2Toys' Line

Orion Wholesale has introduced the Your Strap-On collection from its You2Toys line.

Stephen Colbert Takes Aim at Texas' Crackdown on Sex Toys

Stephen Colbert is cracking up over Texas lawmakers’ crackdown on sex toys in the state.

XR Brands 'Silicone Body Forms' Highlighted at Paris Fashion Week

XR Brands’ Ripped Silicone Male Chest and Perky Pair Silicone Breasts were highlighted at 2025 Paris Fashion Week.

Age Verification Watch: Patching the Holes

This roundup provides an update on the latest news and developments on the age verification front as it impacts the adult industry.

Eye of Love Introduces 'Matchmaker Collection' Planogram

Eye of Love has debuted a new display planogram for its Matchmaker Collection of pheromone-infused scents.

Fleshlight Debuts Taylor Vixxen Stroker

Fleshlight has introduced its new Pro stroker, molded on the anatomy of Taylor Vixxen.

Show More