ICANN Opens Up Internet to Free-Form TLDs

PARIS — ICANN has approved a new measure that will open up the Internet to a virtually unlimited supply of top-level domains for a price.

ICANN voted unanimously to let individuals, businesses and organizations – just about anyone – submit an application to ICANN for their own top-level domain, better known as the suffix at the end of a web address, like ".com" or ".org."

They'll start accepting applications at the beginning of 2009.

ICANN also voted today to allow non-Roman characters in domain names, opening up the Internet to web addresses that include Arabic, Asian and letters from a variety of languages.

In order to secure a custom top-level domain, applicants will have to submit a business plan and demonstrate that their proposed domain has some kind of "technical capacity." In addition, ICANN will charge between $100,000 to $500,000 for a custom top-level domain.

“This is the biggest change to the way people find each other on the Internet since its inception,” said Paul Twomey, ICANN’s president and chief executive officer. “What we’re effectively doing is opening up huge amounts of online real estate.”

The measure also opens up the possibility that the much-maligned .XXX top-level domain may find new life through this commercial channel.

ICM Registry President Stuart Lawley had been trying to secure the rights to a .XXX top-level domain for years, only to see his company's application killed by ICANN in March of last year.

Last week, Lawley posted on the ICM Registry homepage that his company has filed a petition for an independent review of ICANN's decision.

Despite the new avenue to securing .XXX, Lawley told XBIZ that he and his company will continue to pursue the lucrative top-level domain through their formal petition.

"The new application process will take a couple of years to settle in," he said.

But what if that formal petition also fails? Will Lawley simply try to apply for and purchase .XXX through this new channel?

Lawley demurred, only saying that he and his company "will continue to pursue .XXX to the very end."

Related:  

Copyright © 2025 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Adult Industry Educational, Networking Platform 'Imperfectly You' Launches

Imperfectly You, an educational and networking platform for adult industry workers, has officially launched.

Segpay to Launch News Network for High-Risk Merchants

Segpay has announced that it will launch the Segpay News Network (SNN) on April 15.

Age Verification Watch: Patching the Holes

This roundup provides an update on the latest news and developments on the age verification front as it impacts the adult industry.

Pineapple Support to Host Autism Spectrum Support Group

Pineapple Support is hosting a free online support group for performers and creators who are, or suspect they may be, on the autism spectrum.

ImLive Launches Revamped Member Loyalty Program

Cam platform ImLive has revamped its member loyalty program.

GoFundMe Set Up for Danny Ferretti's Medical Expenses

A GoFundMe campaign has been set up for Fangear founder Danny Ferretti, who requires extensive lung surgery.

Byborg Acquires Cuties AI

Byborg Enterprises has acquired adult artificial intelligence startup Cuties AI.

Irish Government Releases Report on Sex Work Decriminalization Legislation

The Irish government has released a report reviewing a 2017 law that decriminalized sex work across the country.

Texas Bill Would Require Age Verification for Online Sex Toy Sales

A new bill in the Texas state legislature would require online retailers to implement age verification of purchasers before selling “obscene devices” to anyone in that state.

New York Assemblyman Proposes Banning the Term 'Sex Work'

Republican New York Assembly Member Brian Maher has introduced a bill to prohibit the use of the term "sex work" in government documents.

Show More