4Chan Founder Takes Responsibility for Attack That Prompted AT&T Blockade

NEW YORK — After an online uproar in response to AT&T blocking the rambunctious message board 4Chan.org, it turns out that it was all 4chan's fault.

On Sunday, AT&T blocked one of 4Chan's many message boards, the infamous /b/ board, widely known as a spawning ground for Internet memes, bizarre humor and edgy pornography.

Online pundits quickly cried foul, accusing AT&T of censoring the anarchic message board, but as early as Monday morning, software engineers and other tech analysts were suggesting that one or more online attacks had been originating from 4Chan's IP addresses, or at the very least, someone behind the attacks was making it look like 4Chan was behind it.

Today 4Chan founder Christopher Poole, aka Moot, confirmed that a DDoS (distributed denial of service) attack had originated from 4Chan's image-hosting subdomain, img.4chan.org. A DDoS attack is a "distributed denial of service" attack, which knocks out a website (or group of websites) for its intended users.

Despite the admission, Poole said that AT&T went too far in response to the attack.

“They essentially dropped a nuke instead of using the fly swatter,” Moot said. “I was told by someone within the company that an engineer essentially overreacted and made a mistake in choosing how to deal with a rather trivial issue. That’s how we got to where we’re at now.”

The 4Chan message board is also credited for siring any number of high-profile online movements and pranks, including the shadowy Internet organization Anonymous.

After AT&T's blockade of the site Sunday, reports started appearing online saying that AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson had died, apparently due to a cocaine overdose that happened while he had hired a number of male exotic dancers. None of that happened, and no one has taken credit for the prank.

Related:  

Copyright © 2025 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Adult Industry Educational, Networking Platform 'Imperfectly You' Launches

Imperfectly You, an educational and networking platform for adult industry workers, has officially launched.

Segpay to Launch News Network for High-Risk Merchants

Segpay has announced that it will launch the Segpay News Network (SNN) on April 15.

Age Verification Watch: Patching the Holes

This roundup provides an update on the latest news and developments on the age verification front as it impacts the adult industry.

Pineapple Support to Host Autism Spectrum Support Group

Pineapple Support is hosting a free online support group for performers and creators who are, or suspect they may be, on the autism spectrum.

ImLive Launches Revamped Member Loyalty Program

Cam platform ImLive has revamped its member loyalty program.

GoFundMe Set Up for Danny Ferretti's Medical Expenses

A GoFundMe campaign has been set up for Fangear founder Danny Ferretti, who requires extensive lung surgery.

Byborg Acquires Cuties AI

Byborg Enterprises has acquired adult artificial intelligence startup Cuties AI.

Irish Government Releases Report on Sex Work Decriminalization Legislation

The Irish government has released a report reviewing a 2017 law that decriminalized sex work across the country.

Texas Bill Would Require Age Verification for Online Sex Toy Sales

A new bill in the Texas state legislature would require online retailers to implement age verification of purchasers before selling “obscene devices” to anyone in that state.

New York Assemblyman Proposes Banning the Term 'Sex Work'

Republican New York Assembly Member Brian Maher has introduced a bill to prohibit the use of the term "sex work" in government documents.

Show More