Wireless Companies Respond to ‘Net Neutrality’ Proposal

WASHINGTON — Following yesterday’s proposal by the chair of the Federal Communications Commission to impose new rules for mobile-web-access providers and broadband providers, some wireless companies — particularly AT&T — expressed discontent.

FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski, delivered the announcement yesterday at the Brookings Institution, and said the FCC must be "a smart cop on the beat preserving a free and open Internet."

In a statement issued by AT&T, the company said it supported the existing neutrality principles for wired networks, and is even open to adding a fifth, but does not back the rules applying to wireless networks.

The company — which currently is the sole service provider for the iPhone — said wireless service is a competitive market that does not need regulation, and justified keeping restrictions on the amount of data wireless customers can use because wireless networks “are facing incredible bandwidth strains [and] require continued private investment at very high levels, and pro-active network management.”

AT&T also went on the offensive, calling the FCC’s plans a “bait and switch” scheme in which they were sold unrestricted blocks of the wireless spectrum last year in the organization’s auction for “billions more” than Verizon’s purchase of a block with limitations of keeping it open to any device and application.

Verizon, in a statement, also said it disapproved of adding new regulations.

“We believe that when the FCC reviews the record and looks at the facts, it will be clear that there is no current problem which justifies the risk of imposing a new set of regulations that will limit consumer choices and affect content providers, application developers, device manufacturers and network builders,” the company said.

According to reports, other wireless providers, including Sprint simply refused to comment on the issue.

Among the new regulations affecting wireless companies include consumer rights to access content and run applications of their choice.

Related:  

Copyright © 2025 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Adult Industry Educational, Networking Platform 'Imperfectly You' Launches

Imperfectly You, an educational and networking platform for adult industry workers, has officially launched.

Segpay to Launch News Network for High-Risk Merchants

Segpay has announced that it will launch the Segpay News Network (SNN) on April 15.

Age Verification Watch: Patching the Holes

This roundup provides an update on the latest news and developments on the age verification front as it impacts the adult industry.

Pineapple Support to Host Autism Spectrum Support Group

Pineapple Support is hosting a free online support group for performers and creators who are, or suspect they may be, on the autism spectrum.

ImLive Launches Revamped Member Loyalty Program

Cam platform ImLive has revamped its member loyalty program.

GoFundMe Set Up for Danny Ferretti's Medical Expenses

A GoFundMe campaign has been set up for Fangear founder Danny Ferretti, who requires extensive lung surgery.

Byborg Acquires Cuties AI

Byborg Enterprises has acquired adult artificial intelligence startup Cuties AI.

Irish Government Releases Report on Sex Work Decriminalization Legislation

The Irish government has released a report reviewing a 2017 law that decriminalized sex work across the country.

Texas Bill Would Require Age Verification for Online Sex Toy Sales

A new bill in the Texas state legislature would require online retailers to implement age verification of purchasers before selling “obscene devices” to anyone in that state.

New York Assemblyman Proposes Banning the Term 'Sex Work'

Republican New York Assembly Member Brian Maher has introduced a bill to prohibit the use of the term "sex work" in government documents.

Show More