AT&T to Open 3G Network to Competing VOIP Apps

CUPERTINO, Calif. — AT&T is finally getting some competition on the iPhone, but it won't come from archrival Google.

Starting today, the telecom giant will open its 3G information network to other Internet phone applications for the signature Apple device.

To date, AT&T had allowed other types of cell phones to make phone calls using what's called voice over Internet protocol, or VOIP, which powers such popular services as Skype.

But here's the problem: Because of AT&T's restrictions on its 3G network, users had been forced to find a Wi-Fi hotspot to make such calls. AT&T's 3G network offers far more comprehensive coverage.

This move likely comes as the result of a longstanding struggle between Apple and Google. Apple had block Google's VOIP app, called Google Voice, from the company's App Store. The FCC took notice and applied pressure to AT&T and change its policy.

Remarkably, Apple continues to resist the incursion of Google Voice, arguing that it isn't a VOIP app. Apple's rejection of the app reads as follows:

“The application has not been approved because, as submitted for review, it appears to alter the iPhone’s distinctive user experience by replacing the iPhone’s core mobile telephone functionality and Apple user interface with its own user interface for telephone call.”

Apple's move has drawn widespread criticism from the online tech punditry, including leading tech analyst Michael Arrington.

"We all know that the real reason Apple won’t let Google Voice through is that they are scared out of their mind that Android and Google Voice will eat their iPhone lunch over the long term," he said. "Apple can’t win the fight over the long term, but they sure are willing to say and do anything in the short term to stop the advance of Google."

Arrington was referring to Google's mobile OS, Android, which is available on various platforms with different telecom companies. Tech analyst Ian Paul noted that if AT&T resisted the push from other companies to offer VOIP apps on the iPhone, they might be left out in the cold.

"That may not be a big deal, but it draws a clear line in the sand between the closed platform of AT&T and Apple versus Google's open model available on other carriers," he said.

Related:  

Copyright © 2025 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Adult Industry Educational, Networking Platform 'Imperfectly You' Launches

Imperfectly You, an educational and networking platform for adult industry workers, has officially launched.

Segpay to Launch News Network for High-Risk Merchants

Segpay has announced that it will launch the Segpay News Network (SNN) on April 15.

Age Verification Watch: Patching the Holes

This roundup provides an update on the latest news and developments on the age verification front as it impacts the adult industry.

Pineapple Support to Host Autism Spectrum Support Group

Pineapple Support is hosting a free online support group for performers and creators who are, or suspect they may be, on the autism spectrum.

ImLive Launches Revamped Member Loyalty Program

Cam platform ImLive has revamped its member loyalty program.

GoFundMe Set Up for Danny Ferretti's Medical Expenses

A GoFundMe campaign has been set up for Fangear founder Danny Ferretti, who requires extensive lung surgery.

Byborg Acquires Cuties AI

Byborg Enterprises has acquired adult artificial intelligence startup Cuties AI.

Irish Government Releases Report on Sex Work Decriminalization Legislation

The Irish government has released a report reviewing a 2017 law that decriminalized sex work across the country.

Texas Bill Would Require Age Verification for Online Sex Toy Sales

A new bill in the Texas state legislature would require online retailers to implement age verification of purchasers before selling “obscene devices” to anyone in that state.

New York Assemblyman Proposes Banning the Term 'Sex Work'

Republican New York Assembly Member Brian Maher has introduced a bill to prohibit the use of the term "sex work" in government documents.

Show More