L.A. Sues ‘Grand Theft’ Makers Over Allegedly Slipping in Porn

LOS ANGELES — The City Attorney’s office has filed suit against the makers of “Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas” for allegedly deceiving consumers by hiding pornographic material inside the video game.

In the suit filed on Thursday, City Attorney Rocky Delgadillo accused Rockstar Games and its parent company, Take-Two Interactive, of failing to disclose the porn content to get the game onto shelves of major retailers that do not carry games rated "Adults Only 18+."

“This is not an effort to regulate pornography,” City Attorney spokesman Jonathan Diamond told XBiz. “This is a matter of material being inserted into a video game to get an M rating.”

The suit focuses on allegations that the New York-based companies knowingly deceived the video game ratings board and flouted California’s Business and Professions code to market the game as suitable for teens.

Diamond said the makers further deceived consumers by first claiming that hackers had modified the original version of the games, then announcing a week later that the sex scenes were written into the original game code.

The game, released in October 2004, features characters that commit crimes such as murder, drug dealing and pimping. The game also allegedly had the embedded "mini game" in which characters could engage in explicit sexual acts.

Nearly 200,000 copies of "Grand Theft Auto," one of the best-selling in video game franchises history, have been sold in the state. Diamond did not have figures on sales in the city of Los Angeles.

The suit demands that Take-Two and Rockstar Games stop marketing the games to children, pay fines and return $10 million in profits.

Last year, the Entertainment Software Ratings Board slapped a restrictive "adult" rating on "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas" because of explicit sex scenes, known as "Hot Coffee," that allow players to engage in virtual sex acts.

The board launched a probe and took the unusual step of changing the rating on the game to "Adults Only 18+" (AO) from "Mature 17+" (M).

"Businesses have an obligation to truthfully disclose the content of their products — whether in the food we eat or the entertainment we consume," Delgadillo said in a statement, noting that his office is focusing harder on the marketing of video games.

A Take-Two spokesman declined to comment to XBiz on Friday.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Phoenix Marie, Cory Chase Star in Latest From MILFY

Phoenix Marie and Cory Chase star with Dan Damage in the latest release from Vixen Media Group studio imprint MILFY.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

Reagan Foxx Headlines 'Mom's Little Cuck' From Reality Junkies

2023 XMAs MILF Performer of the Year Reagan Foxx toplines "Mom’s Little Cuck" from Mile High Media studio imprint Reality Junkies.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Clémence Audiard on Blending Gonzo With High-Style Eroticism

There's an unmistakable radiance that surrounds Clémence Audiard — a glow born of the power to manifest her own vision. With Clemence Crave, her self-funded and self-directed production house, Audiard has sculpted a universe entirely her own.

Tennessee Governor Signs Bill Requiring Warnings on Adult Stores

Governor Bill Lee on Tuesday signed into law a bill requiring adult stores, theaters and other establishments in Tennessee to post warning signs cautioning patrons that they “may be contributing” to sexual assault and human trafficking.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Sofie Marie Makes Her WIFEY Debut

Sofie Marie stars with her husband Spike, Dan Damage, and Isiah Maxwell in the latest release from Vixen Media Group studio imprint WIFEY.

Elegant Angel Debuts James Avalon Drama 'Summer & Joy'

Elegant Angel has released the first installment of the James Avalon-helmed drama "Summer & Joy."

Octavia Red Stars in 'Lipstick on the Glass' From Deeper

Reigning XMAs Girl/Girl Performer of the Year Octavia Red stars with Ashley Lane and Mannie Coco in "Lipstick on the Glass," from Vixen Media Group studio imprint Deeper.

Show More