Predators Found on MySpace

SAN FRANCISCO — Recent news about concerns that MySpace.com has become a stalking ground for online predators prompted reporters at Wired News to try an experiment. The website recently cross-referenced names of randomly selected sex offenders in two California counties with profiles on MySpace, finding five matches and two probable matches.

The unofficial investigation highlights fears that the networking site, used by many adult entertainment and mainstream entities for marketing purposes, isn’t doing enough to protect children from online attacks.

One match revealed the profile of a San Bruno man with an otherwise innocuous MySpace page. But according to his profile in California’s online database of registered sex offenders, the man has been convicted of “forced sodomy, oral sex and lewd and lascivious acts,” all with a person under the age of 14.

A second match unmasked a 22-year-old convicted child molester.

None of the profiles appeared to have minors listed as “friends” on their pages. However, all but one of the seven matches (five confirmed, two probable) found men who had been convicted of sex offenses involving minors.

MySpace has taken fire of late for not doing enough to protect children on its site.

One third of MySpace’s staff works full-time to scan the site for images and postings that violate the company’s terms of service, and the company recently hired former Microsoft child online safety expert Hemanshu Nigam as its new security chief.

“The Internet will never be 100 percent safe for all kids, all the time,” Joan Irvine, executive director for the Association of Sites Advocating Child Protection, said. “Technical advances and legal issues make that impossible. [P]arental involvement remains a crucial factor. Know what your kids are up to, take advantage of available filtering technology and use common sense. No technical fix or new law can replace that.”

Still, the article went on to suggest that MySpace could be doing more.

“On the surface, the ease with which these profiles can be located seems to undermine MySpace's claims to be cracking down on sex offenders on its servers,” the article said.

However, MySpace may not be able to take full advantage of technology in this case.

“It's not against the law, to be on the site itself, not unless they're prohibited by probation or parole,” Inspector Jim Zerga of the San Francisco Police Department, was quoted as saying in the article.

Still, Wired News harshly criticized the site for allowing users to register without proving verifiable contact information. As the article points out, any registered sex offender can use the site under an alias for illegal purposes.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Paysite Confidential: Inside the Creator Economy's Shift Toward Ownership

For years, the adult industry’s creator economy has been defined by platforms — powerful engines of discovery, monetization and scale that reshaped how performers connect with their audiences.

Senator Urges DOJ to Crack Down on 'Obscenity,' Attacks OnlyFans

U.S. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana this week urged Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to reestablish the Department of Justice’s defunct Obscenity Prosecution Task Force in a letter that targets OnlyFans while repeatedly conflating “obscenity” with legal adult content.

UN Experts Urge US, Canada to Prosecute Aylo, Others for 'Exploitation'

GENEVA – The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has issued a press release in which two U.N. special rapporteurs, cited as experts, accuse Aylo and other companies of complicity in sexual exploitation.

Kickstarter Revokes New Rules Banning Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter announced Tuesday that it has reversed its recent decision to impose new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

Report: Irish Justice Minister Seeks UK-Style Ban on 'Extreme' Content

Ireland’s justice minister plans to introduce legislation criminalizing possession and distribution of “extreme” pornography, according to a report by the Irish Independent.

New Kickstarter Rules Ban Fundraising for Adult Content, Products

Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter has posted new “Mature Content” rules banning projects that involve adult content and sextech.

WebGroup Czech Republic Settles Florida AV Suit, Will Pay $1.2 Million

WebGroup Czech Republic (WGCZ), the parent company of XVideos, XNXX, BangBros and GirlsGoneWild, has settled a lawsuit filed by the state of Florida over those sites’ alleged failure to age-verify Florida users before allowing access to adult content.

AEBN Publishes Popular Searches for March, April

AEBN has published the top search terms for March and April from its straight and gay theaters in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Ofcom Investigates Two Sites Over Possible AV Violations

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Wednesday launched investigations into two adult sites as part of its age assurance enforcement program under the Online Safety Act (OSA).

Brazzers Launches Model Management Division 'Brazzers Creator'

Brazzers has launched its new full-service model management division, Brazzers Creator, offering content management services across multiple platforms.

Show More