MySpace Announces Age Restrictions

NEW YORK – In response to a recent $30 million lawsuit filed by an underage girl who blames MySpace for her rape, the News Corp.-owned social networking site will set forth a new age-restriction policy to be implemented next week.

Under the new child protection policy, MySpace users who are 18 or older will no longer be able to request to be on a 14- or 15-year-old's list unless they already know either the person’s email address or full name. As it stands, adults can request to be added to a youth's list to view their full profiles.

However, partial profiles will still be available for registered users under age 15, the company said, which reveal gender, home location and school names. Under the new policy, all users, regardless of age, also will have the option of preventing contact with people outside their age group.

MySpace also plans to enhance its ad-targeting technology so underage users are not inadvertently exposed to gambling and adult site ads.

The call for an age-restriction policy for MySpace comes on the heels of numerous complaints from parents about the safety of children on what has now become one of the most popular social networking sites on the Internet.

MySpace has said it has no way to verify if a user has properly identified themselves, spurring criticism that the new policy will do little to deter child predators from stalking underage MySpace users.

In April, MySpace announced the hiring of a former federal prosecutor and Microsoft executive to help make the networking site a safer environment for children.

MySpace is home to the profiles of many adult performers, fans and marketing and advertising executives from the adult industry and has grown steadily over the two years since its inception as a popular online spot to congregate and share information.

News Corp. purchased MySpace in August of last year as part of a $580 million deal with Los Angeles-based InterMix Media. At the time, the site claimed 22 million members, which has since spiked to an estimated 50 million registered users.

Copyright © 2025 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Proposed New Hampshire AV Bill Appears to Violate Constitution

A bill in the New Hampshire state legislature, aimed at requiring adult sites to age-verify users in that state, contains a provision that seemingly contradicts the Supremacy Clause in Article VI of the U.S. Constitution.

AEBN Publishes Report on Fetish Trends

AEBN has published a report on fetish categories from its straight and gay theaters.

Online Child Protection Hearing to Include Federal AV Bill

A House subcommittee will hold a hearing next week on a slate of bills aimed at protecting minors online, including the SCREEN Act, which would make site-based age verification of users seeking to access adult content federal law.

Industry Photographer, 'Payout' Founder Mike B Passes Away

Longtime industry photographer and publisher Michael Bartholomey, known widely as Mike B, passed away Saturday.

FSC Announces 2025 Board of Directors Election Nominees

The Free Speech Coalition (FSC) has announced the nominees for its 2025 Board of Directors election.

AdultHTML Launches Black Friday Web Design, Development Promo

AdultHTML has launched its annual Black Friday/Cyber Monday promo for web design and development, running through Dec. 5.

Canada Exempts Online Adult Content From 'CanCon' Quotas

The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) has updated its broadcasting regulatory policies, exempting streaming adult content from “made in Canada” requirements that apply to other online material.

Creator Law Firm 'OnlyFirm' Launches

Entertainment attorney Alex Lonstein has officially launched OnlyFirm.com for creators.

German Court Puts Pornhub, YouPorn 'Network Ban' on Hold

The Administrative Court of Düsseldorf has temporarily blocked the State Media Authority of North Rhine-Westphalia (LfM) from forcing telecom providers to cut off access to Aylo-owned adult sites Pornhub and YouPorn.

FSC: NC Law Invalidating Model Contracts Takes Effect December 1

The Free Speech Coalition (FSC) has issued a notice that North Carolina's Prevent Exploitation of Women and Minors Act goes into effect on December 1.

Show More