Verizon Caves, Drops Internet Surcharge

NEW YORK — Backing down to pressure from the Federal Communications Commission, Verizon has said that it will drop its planned high-speed Internet surcharge.

The FCC, which had announced a planned phase-out of the Universal Service Fund (USF) fee scheduled to take effect Aug. 14, sent a letter of inquiry to Verizon earlier this week asking the company to explain its proposal to charge consumers between $1.20 and $2.70 per month.

The original USF was a fee levied by phone and Internet providers on behalf of the federal government to subsidize communications services to lower income households, schools and rural areas.

News of the agency’s interest in the fees that would take effect after the USF phase-out prompted BellSouth to quickly discontinue its plans. Verizon made its decision to drop the new fee after it received the FCC’s letter of inquiry.

According to a Verizon company statement, the decision was a result of customer feedback.

"We have listened to our customers, and are eliminating the charge," a company spokesman said.

Gene Kimmelman of the Consumers Union said that government pressure likely had more to do with Verizon’s decision than consumer input.

“They got caught red-handed in a blatant consumer rip-off,” Kimmelman said. “Only under the pressure of regulators cracking down on them did they back off from this unwarranted charge."

FCC Chairman Kevin Martin said that he was pleased that both BellSouth and Verizon had seen fit to drop the fees, adding that deployment of affordable broadband remains his top priority.

Copyright © 2025 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Adult Industry Educational, Networking Platform 'Imperfectly You' Launches

Imperfectly You, an educational and networking platform for adult industry workers, has officially launched.

Segpay to Launch News Network for High-Risk Merchants

Segpay has announced that it will launch the Segpay News Network (SNN) on April 15.

Age Verification Watch: Patching the Holes

This roundup provides an update on the latest news and developments on the age verification front as it impacts the adult industry.

Pineapple Support to Host Autism Spectrum Support Group

Pineapple Support is hosting a free online support group for performers and creators who are, or suspect they may be, on the autism spectrum.

ImLive Launches Revamped Member Loyalty Program

Cam platform ImLive has revamped its member loyalty program.

GoFundMe Set Up for Danny Ferretti's Medical Expenses

A GoFundMe campaign has been set up for Fangear founder Danny Ferretti, who requires extensive lung surgery.

Byborg Acquires Cuties AI

Byborg Enterprises has acquired adult artificial intelligence startup Cuties AI.

Irish Government Releases Report on Sex Work Decriminalization Legislation

The Irish government has released a report reviewing a 2017 law that decriminalized sex work across the country.

Texas Bill Would Require Age Verification for Online Sex Toy Sales

A new bill in the Texas state legislature would require online retailers to implement age verification of purchasers before selling “obscene devices” to anyone in that state.

New York Assemblyman Proposes Banning the Term 'Sex Work'

Republican New York Assembly Member Brian Maher has introduced a bill to prohibit the use of the term "sex work" in government documents.

Show More