Landmark Copyright Suit Between Viacom, YouTube Is Settled

NEW YORK — Google Inc. has settled a landmark copyright battle with Viacom Inc. that accused the search giant of posting content on the YouTube video service without permission.

The deal between the companies ends more than seven years of litigation that tested the reach of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, which was designed to thwart piracy while letting people find content online.

According to Reuters, the settlement was a draw and no money changed hands.

"This settlement reflects the growing collaborative dialogue between our two companies on important opportunities, and we look forward to working more closely together," Google and Viacom said in a joint statement.

News of the settlement won't help members of the adult entertainment industry, according to attorney D. Gill Sperlein, who litigates many cases on behalf of porn producers and distributors.

"I doubt this will bring much relief to adult companies or smaller independent producers," Sperlein told XBIZ. "The technology companies continue to successfully argue that they are good for consumers. While they do provide a lot of advantages, they continue to line their pockets while devaluing America's vibrant entertainment industry.

"The DMCA continues to be a massive failure," he said.

 In the original suit against Google, Viacom alleged that the search giant illegally broadcasted 79,000 copyrighted videos on its website between 2005 and 2008. Viacom, which owns cable networks such as Comedy Central, MTV and Nickelodeon as well as the Paramount movie studio, had originally asked for $1 billion in damages.

Tuesday's settlement was announced 11 months after U.S. District Judge Louis Stanton rejected Viacom's damages claims over YouTube's alleged posting of clips that users uploaded.

Stanton wrote that YouTube didn't have to constantly scour its website for infringing videos, so long as it removed such videos after receiving DMCA takedown demands from copyright owners. He concluded that Google and YouTube were protected from Viacom's copyright claims by "safe harbor" provisions in the law.

Viacom had been appealing that ruling to the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New York, and oral argument had been scheduled for March 24.

Related:  

Copyright © 2025 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Adult Industry Educational, Networking Platform 'Imperfectly You' Launches

Imperfectly You, an educational and networking platform for adult industry workers, has officially launched.

Segpay to Launch News Network for High-Risk Merchants

Segpay has announced that it will launch the Segpay News Network (SNN) on April 15.

Age Verification Watch: Patching the Holes

This roundup provides an update on the latest news and developments on the age verification front as it impacts the adult industry.

Pineapple Support to Host Autism Spectrum Support Group

Pineapple Support is hosting a free online support group for performers and creators who are, or suspect they may be, on the autism spectrum.

ImLive Launches Revamped Member Loyalty Program

Cam platform ImLive has revamped its member loyalty program.

GoFundMe Set Up for Danny Ferretti's Medical Expenses

A GoFundMe campaign has been set up for Fangear founder Danny Ferretti, who requires extensive lung surgery.

Byborg Acquires Cuties AI

Byborg Enterprises has acquired adult artificial intelligence startup Cuties AI.

Irish Government Releases Report on Sex Work Decriminalization Legislation

The Irish government has released a report reviewing a 2017 law that decriminalized sex work across the country.

Texas Bill Would Require Age Verification for Online Sex Toy Sales

A new bill in the Texas state legislature would require online retailers to implement age verification of purchasers before selling “obscene devices” to anyone in that state.

New York Assemblyman Proposes Banning the Term 'Sex Work'

Republican New York Assembly Member Brian Maher has introduced a bill to prohibit the use of the term "sex work" in government documents.

Show More