Google Responds to Viacom, Denies Copyright Infringement

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. — Google has denied Viacom's copyright infringement charges, which the media company brought in a $1 billion lawsuit, declaring carriers and hosting providers are protected by the 1998 Digital Millennium Copyright Act.

Google filed an official response to Viacom's complaint, stating that the suit "threatens the way hundreds of millions of people legitimately exchange information, news, entertainment, and political and artistic information." Google is referring to video-sharing sites such as its own YouTube, which the search engine giant purchased last year for $1.65 billion in stock.

"We think YouTube offers the world's leading platform for entertainment, education and free speech," said Michael Kwun, managing counsel for litigation at Google. "We're not going to let this lawsuit distract us."

Google's defense team is arguing that YouTube is safe from copyright prosecution under the DMCA because it quickly removes content that is accused of violating copyright laws, and offers "best of class" tools for copyright owners to locate and identify its content featured on the site.

Kwun said Google itself cannot identify or block copyrighted material, but the company takes special measures to keep track of removed content using a "digital fingerprint," and disallows users from uploading content longer than 10 minutes, preventing pirated TV shows and movies from appearing on the site in full.

However, it still is the responsibility of the copyright holders to find their content on YouTube and take measures to remove it.

"We're trying to make it as simple as possible for content owners to be able to find their content on our system and decide what they want to do about that," Kwun said. "We're always going to need their help in looking at the material."

A PDF of Google's official response to Viacom's lawsuit can be viewed at CNET News online.

Copyright © 2025 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Adult Industry Educational, Networking Platform 'Imperfectly You' Launches

Imperfectly You, an educational and networking platform for adult industry workers, has officially launched.

Segpay to Launch News Network for High-Risk Merchants

Segpay has announced that it will launch the Segpay News Network (SNN) on April 15.

Age Verification Watch: Patching the Holes

This roundup provides an update on the latest news and developments on the age verification front as it impacts the adult industry.

Pineapple Support to Host Autism Spectrum Support Group

Pineapple Support is hosting a free online support group for performers and creators who are, or suspect they may be, on the autism spectrum.

ImLive Launches Revamped Member Loyalty Program

Cam platform ImLive has revamped its member loyalty program.

GoFundMe Set Up for Danny Ferretti's Medical Expenses

A GoFundMe campaign has been set up for Fangear founder Danny Ferretti, who requires extensive lung surgery.

Byborg Acquires Cuties AI

Byborg Enterprises has acquired adult artificial intelligence startup Cuties AI.

Irish Government Releases Report on Sex Work Decriminalization Legislation

The Irish government has released a report reviewing a 2017 law that decriminalized sex work across the country.

Texas Bill Would Require Age Verification for Online Sex Toy Sales

A new bill in the Texas state legislature would require online retailers to implement age verification of purchasers before selling “obscene devices” to anyone in that state.

New York Assemblyman Proposes Banning the Term 'Sex Work'

Republican New York Assembly Member Brian Maher has introduced a bill to prohibit the use of the term "sex work" in government documents.

Show More