VeriSign to Triple Number of DNS Servers

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. — Domain registrar VeriSign has announced that it plans to add replicas of its Domain Name System root servers in order to increase protection against server attacks.

“This expansion provides redundancy and reliability, and specifically deals with the increasing attacks we have out there,” Aristotle Balogh, VeriSign vice president of operations and infrastructure, said.

A study by Zone-H, a network of volunteers who track hacker activity, showed that server attacks rose by more than a third last year.

DNS servers are the backbone of the Internet, translating text-based domain names into numeric IP addresses and routing traffic around the world. Because they are critical components of Internet infrastructure, attacks can result in widespread outages.

In 2002, hackers bombarded several root servers with a flood of data designed to overwhelm them and shut them down, an attack that raised the worries of an all-out Internet collapse.

VeriSign operates several of the Internet’s root servers under a federal contract with the U.S. Commerce Department.

Under the plan, VeriSign, which previously had a policy of operating only a few servers in about 18 key hub areas, will now place replicas of its root servers in up to 100 data around the globe, according to Balogh.

The theory behind the move is that, should an attack take place, traffic can simply be routed through another server.

The added servers also would speed up web browsing since servers will be physically closer to name servers, networks and end users.

“We will be closer to the user and the network, so it won’t take as long to get a response,” Balogh said. “I want to be less than 50 milliseconds away from 90 percent of the world’s online users.”

VeriSign has been under heavy fire from site owners who complain that the company exerts too much influence over the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers, the organization responsible for root server system management functions, and for questionable practices such as redirecting traffic to its pay-per-click web directory.

Copyright © 2026 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Pearl Industry Network Launches 'TrustLink' Verification Platform for Creators

Trade group Pearl Industry Network (PiN) has launched TrustLink, its free verification platform for creators.

FSC Updates Complaint in Tennessee AV Case, AG Motions to Dismiss

The Free Speech Coalition this week filed an amended complaint in its lawsuit challenging the Protect Tennessee Minors Act as unconstitutional, in response to which the Tennessee attorney general motioned for dismissal of the case.

Cherie DeVille Joins Woodhull Freedom Foundation 'Free Speech' Panel

Multi-XMAs winner Cherie DeVille will join the upcoming Woodhull Freedom Foundation panel series "Fact Checked by Woodhull," addressing free speech on Feb. 26.

Wisconsin AV Bill Moves Ahead, Minus Anti-VPN Provisions

The Wisconsin state Senate on Wednesday advanced a bill that would require adult websites to verify the ages of users, but approved an amendment striking proposed language that would have required sites to block virtual private network traffic.

Pineapple Support Introduces 'Wellbeing by PS' Service

Pineapple Support has debuted its new Wellbeing by PS service, providing mental health support packages for companies and agencies.

MyMember.site Integrates Bluesky Functionality

MyMember.site has added Bluesky features to its website management platform.

GirlsDoPorn Defendants Ordered to Pay Victims $75.5 Million

A federal court has ordered former GirlsDoPorn owner Michael Pratt and his co-defendants in the GDP sex trafficking case to pay restitution totaling $75,568,283.47 to 106 victims.

SWR Data Publishes 'Clip Trend' Report

Adult industry market research firm SWR Data has published a report on clip platform performance and sales.

Another German Court Rejects Blocking Orders Against Pornhub, YouPorn

A German court has blocked the Rhineland-Palatinate Media Authority (MA RLP) from forcing telecom providers based within the court’s jurisdiction to cut off access to Aylo-owned adult sites Pornhub and YouPorn.

Ofcom Fines Kick Online Entertainment $1 Million for AV Noncompliance

U.K. media regulator Ofcom on Thursday fined Kick Online Entertainment 800,000 pounds (more than $1 million) for failing to implement age checks as required for compliance with the Online Safety Act.

Show More